Yes, you read the title right, this post is inspired by Stephen King. You might think of him as "America's Boggieman" or as wikipedia summarizes, "an American author of contemporary horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy."
Sure he's changed the world with his writing but there's another side to Mr. King. He's also a world changer through his generosity of his money, his knowledge, and himself. See the video link below for proof.
Here's the promised link to the video: http://www.c-span.org/video/?164360-1/vassar-college-commencement.
The link goes to a 28 minute commencement speech Mr. King gave in 2001 at Vassar College. His speech gets a little political and then toward the end it gets amazingly inspirational. If you don't have the full 28 minutes, start around 15 minutes and listen to the last 13.
A couple quotes to inspire you to watch the video:
- "You're not gonna take it with you."
- "All the money you will earn... all of that is mostly smoke and mirrors. You will continue to put your pants on one leg at a time."
- "The greatest power to come into your hands is the power of compassion ... the power to give."
- "Consider making your life one long gift to others. And why not? Everything else you have is on loan. ... All that lasts in this world is what you pass on. The rest is just smoke and mirrors."
- "My own philosophy... by all means, give a man a pole and teach him to fish but people learn better with full bellies, why not give him a fish to get started. Giving isn't about the receiver or the gift but the giver... one opens one's wallet to improve oneself."
As Mr. King points out, we each have about 40 wage-earning years, which is quite small in terms of all time and space. But what we do with this small amount of time matters. #SmallMatters.
Comment and share a story related to Mr. King's speech and a complimentary proverb, "Shared joy is double joy."